hannah's jewelry blog:
http://byrdjewelry.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

"Annyong" Teaches Diversity
















I feel better about myself on the days when Ila doesn't watch any TV at all. But there are a couple mornings a week where an episode of Sesame Street can allow me to lay on the couch and zone out for a bit before I start the day. (Not that I think TV is all terrible for kids; I think it's ok in moderation but don't want it to be the center of our household or a daily ritual). Anyway, Ila has come to absolutely adore this magical red furrball called Elmo, or "Annyong" according to her. (Annyong is the adopted Korean character in our favorite show, Arrested Development, so we get a huge kick out of that). She is just completely smitten by him, or it, or whatever. When we do watch Sesame Street she only wants to watch the parts with Elmo in them so I have to fast-forward (thanks DVR!) the other parts which I'm not always that thrilled about either. I know she's too young to actually be learning that it's healthy to drink water, waving your arms around in the air counts as exercise, plants have feelings too, and sometimes a Chinese father and a Caucasian mother can make an African American baby (they're big on diversity), but I do enjoy watching her light up when Elmo dances across the screen and talks to her fish Dorothy or "Darthy" as all the northern kids say on the show (which is all of them).
All this is to preface our experience of Sesame Street influencing Ila's awareness of diversity . . . We were at Bodos eating breakfast Sunday morning and sitting next to us was a family of five. The mother was Caucasian, the father was African American, two of the kids were a mix of them and the other kid was as blonde as can be. Ila was SO excited to see this diverse family that she continually shouted "Annyong!! Annyong!!" while pointing at them as if Elmo was going to show up at any moment! If they are here, then Elmo must be afoot!! Fortunately they had no idea what she was saying and thought she was really cute. Ross and I hightailed out of there after it got a little ridiculous though.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Hannah, for taking the time to share these postings! Now I want to go watch Sesame Street so I can get to know Annyong too! She is so cute and smart; and you are a loving Momma!
    Hope you'all had fun outside today~we have lots of yellow flowers everywhere and daffis are in full bloom at the beach!
    I miss youALL ): xoxo, Gramma B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT is completely hilarious. I love the Bodos story! Good ole Ila, always givin us a smile :)

    ReplyDelete