hannah's jewelry blog:
http://byrdjewelry.blogspot.com/

Thursday, March 19, 2009

What's That Fing On Her Head?

So Ila was born with what is called a “hemangioma” on her head, which is a collection of blood vessels that are temporarily clumped together. Lots of babies have them. It has already reached it’s largest point and has started shrinking, and it will eventually deconstruct on it’s own within her first year. Since “hemangioma” is a big word that I often forget, we call it “Steve.” While I don’t really notice it anymore, and when I do it actually makes me thankful that it is the biggest of our worries, the comments I receive about it from grown adults amaze me. Adults comment with polite passive aggressive attempts to inquire about it (and if we are having it removed of course), while children have no qualms about coming right out and saying what they are thinking. I prefer the honesty of kids. We were out to dinner the other week with a four year old who kept asking “What’s that fing on her head!?” This gives me the opportunity to make up something absolutely ridiculous about it being a magic button that makes her stop crying when we push it, or I just tell them “his name is Steve.” The other day a woman at church said to me “Oh I’m sure they can remove that.” Thanks lady. I would much rather her say “Hey, what’s that fing on her head?” To which I would kindly respond, “it’s attached to your rod motha licka.”

No comments:

Post a Comment